Speaking and Listening
Speaking and Listening at Balfour Primary
We aim provide children with a range of purposes for speaking and listening, using conventions of speech e.g. manners. Speaking and listening will sometimes be taught discretely, but more often it will be taught within other areas of the National Curriculum.
Examples of where speaking and listening might occur within the classroom:
- Stories, songs & poems
- Describing events, observations and experiences
- Giving reasons for actions
- Explaining ideas and opinions in discussion and responding to others
- Planning, predicting and investigating in small groups
- Presentation to different audiences
- Reading aloud
- Imaginative play and role play
- Hot seating
- Class council / school council / school champions
We actively encourage children to develop their public speaking and confidence in talking in front of an audience by providing them with opportunities to take part in shows-Christmas performances and Learning Shows.